* Dave Rolsky ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [21 Mar 2003 06:32]:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > 1. You've removed the 'zeroes' functionality. It was useful, what
> >    was descision there?

> Actually, it's _not_ useful. DateTime->new has defaults of 0 or 1 (as
> appropriate) for all the components except year, so there's no need to
> explicitly pass in 0 or 1 values.

And I hadn't removed it. =)

That said, it is now 'extras', as per Dave's other email.

I'll be mentioning 'truncate' in the 'extras' documentation since that
seems appropriate? (Hmm. Does the current DateTime on CPAN have
truncate? If not, when's the next DateTime release?)

[...]
> > 3. Builder.pm is very focused on parsing datetimes,

Yes. It's the primary use case.

> >    we should comment somewhere that formats can also provide other
> >    types of parsing and formating, e.g. parse_duration,
> >    parse_recurrence, parse_interval, etc (corresponding format_)

> Maybe. I think Builder will grow as we find similarities between
> existing modules. In fact, that's pretty much the _only_ way it can
> grow, because until we find these similarities, we don't know how to
> make a decent Builder API!

Correct!

I vaguely hinted at having support for formatters. But I've not gotten
that far yet (hence the 'abstract' method). I've seen some of them
tend to be using strftime (or an equivalent combination of methods),
so that seems a logical starting point.

And I'll be adding Dave's bit about specifying methods and their
parsers, so that should help. Once done with datetimes, I'll do
durations, then the others.

If someone gives me a section of documentation about the "comment
somewhere that formats [...]" thing, I'll gleefully add it.

Thanks for your comments, Kellan. Nicely inspiring and much appreciated.

cheers,
--
Iain.