Peter J. Acklam wrote:
Iain Truskett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Unix epochs are always GMT/UTC based (one of the two).

Perl's gmtime() and localtime() aren't UTC compatible.
I'd say they are using TAI time.  GMT belongs to the past.

Except you'd be wrong. ;~)

GMT == UTC for all intents and purposes:

        http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time
        http://www.webreference.com/js/tips/010929.html

Perl is not using TAI, but rather the underlying O/S epoch (which usually means UTC). There is some discussion of using Dan Bernstein's libtai as a basis for time values in Perl6, but I don't think that has been settled yet.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group