On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Claus Färber wrote:

> Dave Rolsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb/wrote:
> > That's going to take a while.  I'd recommend using a year a little
> > closer to our own.  DT::TZ ships with the changes pre-generated 30
> > years out, so dates in that range are quick.
>
> Why does DT::TZ work that way? It should be possible to determine
> whether a date is DST without generating data for all the years
> inbetween.

Because this was relatively easy to implement.  It uses more or less the
same code as is used to generate the initial data set.

> (The problem is, of course, that it will need year, month, and time
> information for that and so probably must create a DT object w/ UTC
> timezone ... or use DateTime::_rd2ymd)

Well, it does that anyway.  Basically it comes down to this being quite a
bit easier than a sparse implementation.  A sparse implementation would be
more complex, especially since I'm afraid that someday we'll see a time
zone with > 2 changes per year (you never know).

If someone else wants to work on a patch, I'd be happy to accept it ;)

However, what I'd really like to do is rewrite all of this in XS, at which
point it might not make much difference.

-dave

House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com