On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Dave Rolsky wrote:

> I think this may be some screwiness in the Config.pm included in RedHat 9,
> which IIRC is using a version of Perl from the maintenance branch between
> 5.8.0 & 5.8.1, because RH is a bunch of morons who like to create annoying
> support problems for us upstream authors.

Whew! I thought *I* was the one who would get flamed for creating annoying
support problems for those upstream. :)

> Unfortunately, I just realized that the Makefile.PL lies when it says you
> can force use of XS with the --xs flag.  It actually won't respect that.
> Oops.

Yes, I noticed this too, but there seemed to be quite a few problems besides
just the compiler issue.  The Makefile came out very screwy as well, with a
lot of missing single quotes, variables without any = signs after them, etc.

> Again, this sounds like a Config.pm problem.

I downloaded & installed perl 5.8.1, re-installed all pre-requisites and the
installation of DateTime went very smoothly. Thanks for the pointer.

> Well, if you load _all_ of them it will use up a lot of memory.  But my
> guess is that in a normal app, if you load them as they're used, you'll
> never load more than 5-10 at most.

OK, that's good to know. Thanks for the help and the modules Dave,

Matt