<...>
> > Having a look at the code, I noticed that each timezone has it's own
class,
> > and also a lot of data in perl structures. I'm not really sure why the
> > timezone classes were developed this way, it seems fine for a simple
case
> > where you only need a couple of timezones, but in a case where you can
> > possibly be using ANY timezone in the same script, it seems a HUGE
overhead
> > in memory and time to have to load all those structures into memory.
>
> Patches welcome ;)

That's probably how I would have responded too... ;-)
<...>
> > We're fine using our POSIX solution now, but I thought you folks might
be
> > interested in this feedback - we chatted about it with Rick Measham at
Perl
> > Mongers yesterday and he asked if we could provide this summary. It's
> > probably a good idea to keep web app developers in mind as you develop
the
> > DateTime namespace, since it's a place where a lot of date/time
calcuations
> > in Perl are required.
>
> I do a heck of a lot of web dev, and I've used DateTime and the time zone
> classes without any problems.
>
> For example, you could just preload the time zones that your current users
> are using, which would almost certainly be a small fraction of all
> possible zones.

<...>
That's OK - we're happy with the solution we are using, and were just trying
to give back a bit by providing the feedback. We have users in nearly 200
countries with more all the time, so we there are a lot of modules to
preload, and we don't know when starting mod_perl the first time which new
countries will be represented in the next batch of signups...

The only way really to provide a fast (to initialize, and access) timezone
DB is to either provide a DB (e.g. CDB, SDBM, etc) with the module, or have
something in the make process that creates such a DB based on the DBM
modules available on the user's system (or, as you mentioned, use structs
with XS).

Regards,
  Rob