On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Matt Sisk wrote:

> Matt Sisk wrote:
> > I have not verified this, but IF there is a lot of overlap of spans
> > between various timezones, perhaps a 'span registry' could be shared
> > between all the zone modules, thereby avoiding duplication of span objects.
>
> I just ran a quick check on TZ 0.2505:
>
> TZ module count: 367
>       Span count: 16969
>         Crunched: 9333
>
> If you reuse duplicat span arrays by reference, you shave the memory
> footprint by approximately 45%.

But that only applies when you load _all_ the zones  How would these be
shared if you only wanted to load 10-20 zones, or even 150 zones?  It
seems like the overhead of determining what is shared would outweigh the
savings.

Do you have any idea of how to implement this in a way that doesn't
require all the zones to be loaded up front, because I can't think of one.

I like the idea of sharing the data somehow though.

-dave

House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com