On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:

Not that I'm blaming DateTime; there's plenty of blame to go around.
ActiveState is to blame for (as rumor has it) having someone maybe
sometime completely rewrite their build scripts, instead of just
quickly addressing this deficiency.  DateTime is to blame for using a
build method that doesn't yet have support from a sizable segment of
the potential user base.  Module::Build is to blame for not coming up
with a way to have dependencies honored by Makefile.PL-friendly tools;
indeed, for not listing itself a dependency at all.  And lastly and
most importantly, ExtUtils::MakeMaker is to blame for having such a
hokey mechanism for dependencies in the first place (to whit: run
Makefile.PL and parse out the PREREQ line from the generated
Makefile).  Oh, and lets not leave out CPAN::FirstTime; everything
might work out ok if it would have a default mirror option; see
http://ppm.activestate.com/BuildStatus/5.8-windows/windows-5.8/DateTime-Locale-0.09.txt

Clearly the easiest for AS is to simple install Module::Build and its dependencies before trying to build PPMs.

What's the way forward in all this?  I don't know.  I do know that
the Module::Build people are working on what I assume will be a separate
module to parse complex dependency information out of META.yml.  We'll
see how it goes, and if various tools will adopt it.  I don't hold my
breath.

You hold your breath on it getting written, or getting adopted? It'll get written, I'm sure. Whether people will adopt it is up to them.

-dave

VegGuide.Org
Your guide to all that's veg.