On Fri, 6 May 2005, Simon Perreault wrote:

I don't agree with that. What's wrong with the correctness of data using XML?
XML is a way to enforce correctness in data. Sure, a DBMS also enforce
correctness in data, but if that's all you need then you'll probably be
better off using XML. It provides everything you said, plus it's easier to
work with.

Err, no.

However, if you need to index you XML for quick retrieval, you need a DB.
That's how DBs evolved: from unindexed data to indexed data. They were *not*
invented so that someone could enforce correctness in data.

You are simply wrong. Do a little bit of research into the history of the relational model. Read Codd's original papers.

If speed is all you're after then a SQL DBMS is almost certainly not the
right choice.

Why?

Because if you want the fastest data store possible, and you don't mind biasing it for a specific set of queries, you can probably hand-code a faster data store yourself. The whole point of a SQL DBMS is that you can design your model so that it allows for as-yet-unforeseen queries.

This is getting quite OT though.