All,

I'm happy to announce that  I just commited the first cut of the new XS
implementation of DateTime::TimeZone to CVS.

For now the only thing I ported are a few methods and the $spans structure,
which used to be a AoA. This is now a list of C structs, and are loaded on
demand.

Some internal APIs have changed: DateTime::TimeZone->instance() no
longer accepts the "spans" parameter. If your code somehow relied on
this (but you shouldn't have ;) your code will break.

For those of you willing to test drive it, follow these steps to
create the zone files:

   - logon to ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/ and download the tzdata*.tar.gz
   - expand this file to a directory of your choice
   - then execute

      cd DateTime-TimeZone
      ./tools/parse_olson --dir  /path/to/tzdata_dir  --version tzdata_version

      # use 2005j or some such thing for tzdata_version

Then parse_olson script will generate all the .pm and .xs files.
once you've done that, you can go ahead and do the regular bits:

      perl Build.PL
      ./Build
      ./Build test
      ./Build install

Let me know if you get compilation errors and such.

--d