On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Rick Measham wrote:

It's been discussed before, and the main reason is below. There's just no way to properly parse a datetime. You can make 'best guesses'. But you should probably use something else to make your guesses, then offer them to the user to pick which they meant.

DateTime prides itself on being accurate and predictable and should never produce unexpected results.

Eh, you're sort of putting words in my mouth here.

I'd be happy to see Date::Parse style parsing as a DateTime::Format module, with the understanding that it may get things wrong or be unable to parse things at all.

I think Graham has even mentioned something about it himself, though that could be complete tish.

It'd be super trivial to wrap Date::Parse in a DateTime::Format module.