On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:05:42PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 07:26:16AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > I have a zipcode table that lists the city, state, timezone offset
> > (eg -5) and a flag indicating if the location uses daylight saving
> > time for U.S. zipcodes.  I don't have the Olson name in the table.
> >
> > How do I set the timezone in this case -- taking into
> > account the dst settings?
>
> I kind of left this hanging.
>
> Is it possible to set a timezone on a DateTime object based on only
> the above information?  Seems like one would need to know more (such
> as when Daylight Saving is in effect for that location.  But, if so,
> could I see an example?

Yes, it's possible. I assume the timezone offset is the non-dst offset.
I'm not sure if Samoa uses US zipcodes :)

Offset    dst flag    Olson zone
-11       no                       US/Samoa         or  Pacific/Pago_Pago
-10       no          HST      or  US/Hawaii        or  Pacific/Honolulu
-10       yes                      US/Aleutian      or  America/Adak
-9        yes                      US/Alaska        or  America/Anchorage
-8        yes         PST8PDT  or  US/Pacific       or  America/Los_Angeles
-7        no          MST      or  US/Arizona       or  America/Phoenix
-7        yes         MST7MDT  or  US/Mountain      or  America/Denver
-6        yes         CST6CDT  or  US/Central       or  America/Chicago
-5        no          EST      or  US/East-Indiana  or
America/Indiana/Indianapolis
-5        yes         EST5EDT  or  US/Eastern       or  America/New_York

I'm pretty sure the missing combinations of offset/dst flag don't
exist in the US.  DateTime-TimeZone includes the first and third
columns of zone names; I'm not sure why it doesn't include those in
the second column.

For your amusement, the Olson files have this comment (among others) about
DST usage in the Falkland Islands:

# I know one lady there that keeps a list of which farm keeps DST and
# which doesn't each year.  She runs a shop in Stanley, and says that
# the list changes each year.  She uses it to communicate to her
# customers, catching them when they are home for lunch or dinner.