On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 16:41 -0800, Andy Ngo wrote:

> The DVEVM board comes with a HUGE filesystem on the 2.5” hard drive.
> On boot up, the Linux kernel mounts the partition
>
> (/dev/hda1) to be used as the root filesystem.  The filesystem is
> 1.9GB!  This is good for development purposes but when we have
>
> our custom board, we will only have a small flash memory to store the
> filesystem.  Do anyone have instructions on how to create
>
> small footprint filesystem (<16Mb)?  I was planning to do a top-down
> approach of eliminating all the files/directories
>
> (/opt/mv_pro_4.0/montavista/pro/devkit/arm/v5t_le/target) I don’t need
> until I get it to a manageable filesystem but I’m not sure
>
> what are needed and what aren’t. Has anyone done this and have a
> recommendation?

Some places to start...

There are two ways to do this.  Start from the existing and pick away
packages until you have what you want.   Or, start from
busybox/buildroot and add packages until you have what you want.  The
latter is the best way to get the smallest rootfs, but if you have 16M,
you may be able to get there using the former.

If you have the MontaVista tools, DevRocket includes a tool called
Platform Image builder which allows you to select build your own rootfs,
and it will handle all inter-package dependencies for you.

>  Also, the current “top” (procps) utility on the board is version
> 3.2.5; it doesn’t support displaying individual threads of a process;
>
> it only shows info about a process as a whole but not the thread.
> Version 3.2.6 has that capability; does anyone know how we
>
> can get that version?

Just download it and compile it.  :)  The development rootfs that ships
with the DVEVM/DVSDK has the native compilers/linkers etc. to compile
natively.

Kevin