On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Andy Ngo wrote:

Thanks for the response. That makes sense. Short of hacking the kernel to do what I want, I just have to stick with this and find other ways of improving the boot up time. If I use a non-compressed image (ramdisk instead of ramdisk.gz), will it buy me much time? By that I mean copy time < uncompressing time?

A) I've seen some reports of cases where copy time > decompression time,
but I doubt that could be generalized.

B) General observation -- This is a generic Linux question, in no way Da-
Vinci-specific.  I'm not saying it's off-topic, nor am I complaining about
it being here.  My point is that literally 99.9% of the people with an-
swers to such questions are not here.  So, asking such questions here is
IMO a relatively poor way of getting them answered.  But it's your choice
:-)

C) On the other hand, if you'd done a web search you would have much bet-
ter information by now.  I.e. RTM / UG.

D) All that being said, the Linux boot-up time references I have are:
<http://tree.celinuxforum.org/CelfPubWiki/BootupTimeResources>
<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-boot-faster/>
<http://www.linuxsymposium.org/proceedings/reprints/Reprint-Bird-OLS2004.pdf>

Tom