Troy Kisky wrote:
I'm exploring the montavista git tree and saw that there has been no activity for a few months.

Yes, unfortunately, you are right. git kernel is hosted by MV, and maintained by a MV employee, Kevin Hilman. This is the open source git kernel for DaVinci, we all ("the community") can, should and have to contribute to if it should be viable. The "commercial official" product TI/MV still supports is the 2.6.10 (?) "TI/MV" kernel.

Back to open source git kernel, unfortunately, it seems that Kevin actually has no time to maintain the DaVinci git kernel, apply changes and update it to recent Linus' 2.6.24 version.

Technically speaking, there are few (~5?) patches in the list archives which should/can applied to the git archive as it is at the moment (2.6.23). Cause of Kevins lack of time, these are not applied yet.

Regarding update to 2.6.24: The OMAP git kernel, the parent of DaVinci git kernel, is already at 2.6.24. Some work will be necessary to update due to API/interface changes, though. But this is doable. A bigger issue I actually can't estimate are changes to video driver. Some weeks ago Kevin mentioned that video driver also needs a significant rework since the video-buf layer changed in mainline. IMHO there would be at least the option to update git kernel to recent 2.6.24 fixing the simple API/interface changes, but in a first step leave the video driver broken. Opinions?

Maybe anybody from TI or MV can comment on thoughts/plans/furture regading

http://source.mvista.com/git/?p=linux-davinci-2.6.git;a=summary

?

I'm using git://source.mvista.com/git/linux-davinci-2.6.git,
is that the right one?

Yes.

I've also seen references to source.mvista.com/gittrees leading to my confusion.

http://source.mvista.com/gittrees doesn't work for me. http://source.mvista.com/ works for me, and the only interesting Davinci related link there is

http://source.mvista.com/git/?p=linux-davinci-2.6.git;a=summary

what is again what you noted above.

Should patches for this tree be sent to this mailing list?

Yes, sure, patches are basically really welcome. Independent from the issues we currently have with applying them. See kernel related part of [1] as well.

Best regards

Dirk

[1] http://linux.omap.com/pipermail/davinci-linux-open-source/2008-February/005146.html