Mike,

Have you ran "libtoolize --copy --force"?  Does it give an error?

As far as changing a existing plugin.  You will have to edit src/Makefile.am
then run automake to change which files it compiles.  Then run autogen.sh.
I 'm not much good at automake, but I know there are other settings at the
top level that you can/should edit also.  Package name for example.  You
also probably want to change the .so you are making.  This is also done in
src/Makefile.am.

If you copy an existing plugin, or use the gst-template, you still have to
make the same changes to the automake files.  Unless you want your plugin
called libgstplugin.so.

Tyler