On Monday 30 March 2009, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
> > That's a third what an ATA drive gives on the same system; the
> > CF cards do not support DMA access modes.
>
>     Those CF cards probably don't even support PIO3/4 because using DMA ATA
> drive's speed whould've been order of magnitude better than 4.5 MB/sec (which
> should correspond to PIO4).

I'm not sure that the the IDE controller (Palmchip BK3710)
supports transfers that fast even when using DMA.  Taking a
laptop drive and hooking it up to the IDE link gave lower
throughput (much lower!) than the laptop had.  It's either
the controller or its driver which is the bottleneck.

> > +config MACH_DAVINCI_EVM_CF
> > +     bool "Use CompactFlash, not IDE drive"
> > +     depends on MACH_DAVINCI_EVM && BLK_DEV_PALMCHIP_BK3710
>
>     I was thinking of making this a choice instead. And I don't see why it
> should depend on BLK_DEV_PALMCHIP_BK3710.

There's no point in offering the choice if its IDE driver
isn't configured.