David Brownell wrote:

That's a third what an ATA drive gives on the same system; the
CF cards do not support DMA access modes.

Those CF cards probably don't even support PIO3/4 because using DMA ATA drive's speed whould've been order of magnitude better than 4.5 MB/sec (which should correspond to PIO4).

I'm not sure that the the IDE controller (Palmchip BK3710)
supports transfers that fast even when using DMA.  Taking a
laptop drive and hooking it up to the IDE link gave lower
throughput (much lower!) than the laptop had.  It's either
the controller or its driver which is the bottleneck.

Russing 'hdrparm -t /dev/hda' gives me about up to 30 MB/s on DM6467 --that's not 45 but not 4.5 either.

+config MACH_DAVINCI_EVM_CF
+     bool "Use CompactFlash, not IDE drive"
+     depends on MACH_DAVINCI_EVM && BLK_DEV_PALMCHIP_BK3710

   I was thinking of making this a choice instead. And I don't see why it
should depend on BLK_DEV_PALMCHIP_BK3710.

There's no point in offering the choice if its IDE driver
isn't configured.

I'm generally not happy about the inverse dependencies like that (AKA ARM #ifdef hell).

WBR, Sergei