David Brownell <davi...@pacbell.net> writes:

> On Tuesday 31 March 2009, Mark A. Greer wrote:
>> >
>> > Couldn't you add some kind of "ignore this one" flag to that
>> > infrastructure, and just have DaVinci use it?
>>
>> Yes and that's probably the right long-term solution.
>> Problem is that code is used by almost everyone so who knows how long
>> it'll take to get accepted.
>
> Accepted:  should be easy with a sane patch.  No existing
> driver would be setting that new flag.
>
> Used widely:  happens over time, like always.

We ran into this same problem in OMAP too.  The solution we ame up
with is to just power-up all UARTs and an inactivity timer disables
unused UART clocks.

I tried a solution to this in the 8250 driver, but the bigger problem
is that the 8250 driver is orphaned.  Patches to add/fix features for
the 8250 driver go largely ignored on the serial list.

Kevin