On Thursday 30 April 2009, Kevin Hilman wrote:
> > Certain things can't be done without initializing those
> > GPIOs ... the defconfig should get updated to link that
> > driver statically.
> >
> > Hmm, and since newer EVMs use Intel flash chips instead
> > of the original AMD ones, maybe CONFIG_MTD_CFI_INTELEXT
> > should be set to match CONFIG_MTD_CFI_AMDSTD ... and
> > for that matter, drop PHYSMAP_START etc (the legacy
> > physmap support for its NOR flash).  And the keyboards
> > and touchscreens, HWRNG, MMC_BLOCK_BOUNCE, RTC (unless
> > someone writes a driver), plus maybe a few more bits.  ;)
>
> All good ideas, I'll update davinci_all_defconfig with these
> suggestions and some other misc. cleanups.

Some of them are specific to the dm6446 EVM ... there is
an RTC driver for the dm355, for example.

> At the same time, unless I hear some screaming, I plan to drop all the
> other davinci_*_defconfig files as I never test them (or plan to) but
> do get various reports about them.
>
> I'll happlily add an alternate defconfig back if someone wants to
> maintain an step up to keep it tested and working.  Otherwise, I plan
> to just maintain the single defconfig for all the platforms and build
> most everything as modules.

I suppose that's best for build testing, and I certainly
understand trouble from broken defconfigs.

The downside of course is that "everything modular" isn't
going to work well in many cases.  But I guess it's not
realistic to expect defconfigs to work very well for most
kinds of normal use.  I certainly never use such kernels
very long (if at all!), on any platforms.

- Dave