David Brownell <davi...@pacbell.net> writes:

> On Thursday 30 April 2009, Kevin Hilman wrote:

[...]

>> At the same time, unless I hear some screaming, I plan to drop all the
>> other davinci_*_defconfig files as I never test them (or plan to) but
>> do get various reports about them.
>>
>> I'll happlily add an alternate defconfig back if someone wants to
>> maintain an step up to keep it tested and working.  Otherwise, I plan
>> to just maintain the single defconfig for all the platforms and build
>> most everything as modules.
>
> I suppose that's best for build testing, and I certainly
> understand trouble from broken defconfigs.
>
> The downside of course is that "everything modular" isn't
> going to work well in many cases.  But I guess it's not
> realistic to expect defconfigs to work very well for most
> kinds of normal use.  I certainly never use such kernels
> very long (if at all!), on any platforms.

Right, the goal of the all_defconfig is to have something that is
broad enough to build boot on all supported platforms so broad
testing can be easy.

For depth of testing, I expect folks to have a broad range of custom
defconfigs.  I just don't plan to support those in DaVinci git myself,
but will happily take them from others as long as they can are
tested and maintained.

So, I'll be pushing a commit which drops everything but the
all_defconfig, but will add back any other tested defconfigs as
requested.

Kevin