On Friday 08 May 2009, Kieran Bingham wrote:
> The following 8bits will clock the value of the register back to the master
> i.e.: to read the value 0x02 from register 0x03 the following
> transaction would occur
>
> MOSI:
> 0x03##
> MISO
> 0x##02
>
> where ## are "don't cares"
>

> I can't seem to get this to happen using spi_write / spi_read.

Try spi_write_then_read() ... spi_w8r8() is an *exact* match
for the idiom you're using, just wrapping write_then_read.

(I presume that MontaVista's kernel isn't using some
proprietary SPI interface...)

> Does anyone know where some good pointers on using SPI are, or good
> examples are ?

Documentation/spi/spi_summary ... it's probably a bit more
focussed on the lower level code (including device setup)
than how to write protocol drivers.

Current kernels have SPI drivers all over, with drivers/spi
mostly holding the controller drivers.  You can look there
for examples; start with drivers/misc/eeprom, drivers/gpio,
drivers/rtc, and drivers/hwmon.  That's not exhaustive, and
more complex drivers (network, touchscreen) exist too.

- Dave