Steve Chen wrote:
> I believe GStreamer uses the OSS emulation layer.  It appears that the
> problem is at sample rate of 44.1k.

I disabled CONFIG_SND_SUPPORT_OLD_API and tried with that. Results are the
same. Is there a way to disable OSS emulation layer, or should I check
gstreamer handling of alsa?

>> >From these two examples it was clear(at least for me) that there were some
>> problem with driver, especially at 44100 khz either 1 channel or 2 channel.
>> Later I converted davincieffect.mp2 to wav at two different sample rates and
>> played with aplay as such:
>>
>> $aplay r441_c2.wav
>
> Can you try
>  > aplay -D hw:0,1 r441_c2.wav
>
> If you see something like
>
> Warning: rate is not accurate (requested = 44100Hz, got = 48000Hz)
>          please, try the plug plugin
>
> That means McBSP/AIC33 are not setup to handle sample rate of 44.1K
> directly.  The sample rates are covered by software.  The problem is
> likely in the area of rate conversion.
>
> If you don't see the warning, McBSP/AIC33 is setup to handle 44.1K
> directly.  You man want to check with clock settings (make sure AIC33 is
> setup as the master).

I tried and there was no warning:

$aplay -v -D hw:0,0 r441_c2.wav
Playing WAVE 'r441_c2.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
Hardware PCM card 0 'DaVinci Beginning' device 0 subdevice 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 44100
  exact rate   : 44100 (44100/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 22400
  period_size  : 896
  period_time  : 20317
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 896
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 22400
  stop_threshold   : 22400
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 1468006400
  appl_ptr     : 0
  hw_ptr       : 0

I started seeing this issue after applying this patch, maybe there is
something wrong with ping-pong buffer handling as this problem is present
only when sample rate is 44.1 khz.

Regards,
Caglar