On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Nori, Sekhar <nsek...@ti.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 20:36:13, Vladimir Pantelic wrote:
>> Ben Gardiner wrote:
>> > On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Vladimir Pantelic

>> > So I guess you agree with our current standing that all HW access
>> > should be on the linux side then?
>>
>> no, but it much easier to do in on the side where all the infrastructure
>> exists for it. I you must do it on the DSP, then do it, just think hard
>> whether you really need that.
>
> If you do decide to access peripherals from DSP side,
> OMAP-L1 SDK provides a DSP side drivers package as well.
>
> http://software-dl.ti.com/dsps/dsps_public_sw/sdo_sb/targetcontent/omap_l138/1_00/latest/index_FDS.html

Thanks for the useful link.

>> > That's a good question. It is a bit of a hypothetical situation so I
>> > can't say for sure in this case. I guess what I'm trying to get across
>> > is that we would prefer to not write linux driver code since having
>> > alot of custom Linux driver code has burned us in the past. We would
>> > prefer to use existing code bases and drivers and work to make those
>> > existing drivers stable with patches (that we post back upstream).
>>
>> err, but aren't linux spi drivers "existing" and/or "stable"?
>>
>> > This 'proxy driver' would be one that grabs the platform resources and
>> > does nothing else then? Are there existing examples of proxy drivers
>> > like this?
>>
>> no idea.
>>

> AFAIK, there are no such proxy drivers. IMHO, it is much easier
> to statically partition resources between the two cores rather
> than create proxy drivers for resource sharing. So, if you want
> to control a particular SPI instance from DSP, just don't register
> the platform device for that SPI instance in your Linux board file.

Thank you for offering your advice, Sekhar. One of our concerns with
this approach -- or so we think -- is that the kernel power management
would be free to supress the clock of that device. Could you comment
on whether this is a concern and if it can be addressed in a static
partition of resources?

Best Regards,

Ben Gardiner