--- Begin Message ---
On 11/10/2017, 18:22, Sascha    typed:

>> Question - Should the RIPE Database allow creation of ROUTE objects for non
>> RIPE resources?

This question has to be split into two to be able to be answered.

Part 1: Should RIPE DB allow creation of route/route6 objects when both the
inetnum(6) and aut-num resources are non-RIPE?

Part 2: Should RIPE DB allow creation of route/route6 objects where one or the
other of the prefix or origin asn *are* in the RIPE DB, and the other is not.
That is so call cross-rir route objects?

Part 2 is trickier, and largely what this thread is debating as I understand it.

For part 1, I struggle to see any good reason to allow this to continue. It
simple allows for anyone to create any route: objects, referring to any
combination of resources that may or may not have any bearing on the reality of
the internet. There is not even a good verification the resources are even
allocated at all.

In addition, once set up, there is zero incentive for anyone to ever delete
these once obsolete.

This was necessary once upon a time, as there were no useful alternatives then.
That is now history.

> Is an option D: create a central IRRDB with authentication hooks
> into all RIRs completely out of the question?

I don't see that as a practical or realistic option.

Regards,
Daniel

--- End Message ---