On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 12:39:49PM +0100, Sascha Luck [ml] via db-wg wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 11:11:09AM +0000, Job Snijders via db-wg wrote:
> > I am sympathetic, but RIPE has no obligation to keep a glaring
> > security hole open to accommodate another RIR's lack of expedience.
>
> There was a time when it would have been seen as the obligation of any
> RIR to keep the internet running as smoothly as possible. This boat
> seems to have sailed and not just in an internet context.This
> paradigm shift mirrors one in general society as well, where it has
> become acceptable to cause any amount of pain and inconvenience to the
> general population in the name of 'security'...

The above would be true if there was no alternatives and RIPE NCC was
the exclusive provider of this registration service. However, as I
pointed out before you can simply register your routes in other IRRs.

> Secondly, there is an unintended consequence to this, namely that, if
> you make it impossible for a segment of resource holders to register
> their routes properly, some transit providers and IXPs will have no
> choice but to accept their advertisements anyway without any filter.
> How that improves 'security', I don't know.

As pointed out, it is not impossible.

> IMO such actions should be delayed until there is a mechanism for
> every resource holder to register their advertisements properly, no
> matter where they are. Presumably this is something the RIRs
> themselves could be pushing as they are coordinating among themselves
> and with ICANN anyway.

Such a mechanism already exists. There is the RPKI registration system
and there are multiple IRR systems.

Kind regards,

Job