On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 09:39:52AM -0700, Randy Bush via db-wg wrote:
> [ off list ]

this was not offlist.

> isps need the irr-based filtering 'telcoms' to use all the irr
> instances, as small emerging economy isps can not afford radb and will
> soon not be able to use ripe.  so the attackers will use the irr
> instance with lowest security to spoof.

Why can't small ISPs use the IRR provided by the RIR? Those are free.
APNIC, AFRINIC, RIPE and ARIN do not charge for their IRR services. If
the ASN and the prefix both come from RIPE, you can register them in
RIPE just fine. If they both come from Afrinic, you can register them
just fine in the AfriNIC IRR.

You only end up in a third party IRR database (such as RADB) if you have
a prefix from AfriNIC and an ASN from RIPE.

But if you could afford to buy/lease the prefix from the AfriNIC member,
I think you can afford to pay the RADB fee as well...

Kind regards,

Job