(this reply in mainly targeted towards the points Gert made)
Hi,

denis summarized my take on this pretty well here and we (me, denis,
and I think William Sylvester too) had a brief chat about this at
RIPE84 which in my view pretty much boiled down to:
1. email is the de-facto standard method of communication and is very
reasonable to be required for contacts
2. any other method of contact should probably be optional/voluntary,
this would include things like phone number, fax number, and probably
postal address.

As denis also pointed out, if you want to operate a NOC that people
can call into to fix issues urgently, that is fine, you can add that
attribute then.
Requiring phone numbers results in cases where someone might just
write a phone number like +46000000000 or put in a personal phone
number which might also be unsupported for NOC purposes.
I can tell you that if you call the number listed for the tech contact
for my network, I will either not pick up the phone or if I do I will
likely just tell you to send an email instead.
Clearly requiring networks like mine to put a phone number there just
results in PII being published for no good reason.

I would assume that many small networks do not operate NOCs that can
respond to phone calls 24/7 or even phone calls at all, especially
from non-customers.

P.S. Yes all of these networks could just use role objects and as such
not have to publish phone numbers but I argued for why they shouldn't
be required as it seemed to me like Gert didn't quite understand why I
think it is a bad idea to require them, beyond the inconsistency.

-Cynthia