Even if it could mean that email might also be broken that is not
necessarily the case.

Many companies use cloud services for email so they might be completely
unaffected by their network issues.

Also just because something is broken doesn't mean it's so broken email
stops working.

And of course, PBX systems can also experience issues if there is a big
incident with the network.

You also have to consider that there might not be a PBX system or a
dedicated NOC number even for some companies that might still have 10-20
employees.

While I do get your point, I stand firm in thinking that the networks can
decide if they want to accept calls or not themselves.

I would like to know if my network is experiencing issues but we have
emails and personally I feel comfortable relying on them to work well
enough seeing as they are with an external provider that has nothing to do
with my network.

-Cynthia