So the geofeed attribute will be deleted from the database?
Do you have a timeframe for this implementation?

Von: db-wg <db-wg-boun...@ripe.net> Im Auftrag von Maria Stafyla via db-wg
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 28. Juli 2022 13:33
An: db-wg@ripe.net
Betreff: [db-wg] NWI-13 Geofeed Legal Analysis

Dear colleagues,
Following the legal update we provided on NWI-13: Geofeed at the DB WG session
at RIPE 84, here is our analysis in case further discussion on this topic is
needed.

Executive Summary:

-       The RIPE Database is meant to contain specific information for its
documented purposes.

-       Information inserted in the geofeed attribute could in some cases
qualify as personal data.

-       The current purposes could explain geolocation information to be
inserted only for ‘scientific research into network operations and topology’.

-       This purpose does not justify the processing of personal data;
therefore restrictions had to be put in place to avoid the processing of
unnecessary personal data.

-       The restrictions are now implemented based on the status of the
registration.

-       If the purposes of the RIPE Database have changed in the meantime, this
should be established via the community processes and documented. In that case
we will re-evaluate the situation and the need for restrictions. Until then,
the restrictions remain necessary.

Legal Analysis:
The RIPE Database is meant to contain specific information for the purposes
that are defined in the RIPE Database Terms and Conditions.
In terms of the _personal data_ inserted in there, the purpose that justifies
its publication is to facilitate the coordination of network operations for the
smooth and uninterrupted operation of Internet; this purpose explains why
contact details of resource holders or their appointed contact persons are
required.
Before any new type of personal data is permitted to be inserted in the RIPE
Database, we must evaluate if their processing is required for the purposes
already defined and their processing can be considered in line with the basic
personal data processing principles.
Although it is the responsibility of the party inserting personal data to
ensure that they have the appropriate legal grounds before doing so, the RIPE
NCC has also shared responsibilities with regards to the personal data in the
RIPE Database. This is because the RIPE NCC is the party that is making the
RIPE Database available and implements the instructions given by the RIPE
community.
As mentioned in the Legal Review Impact Analysis, if the geofeed attribute is
inserted for registrations of assignments that are reasonably assumed to be
related to one individual user, then the attribute will be considered as
containing personal data and GDPR will apply. This is why we have proposed to
implement restrictions.
These restrictions are essential to avoid any processing of personal data that
is not required or necessary for the currently defined purposes of the RIPE
Database and to limit the RIPE NCC's liability as a party with shared
responsibilities in relation to the personal data inserted in the RIPE Database.
Regarding the _(non-personal) data _inserted in the RIPE Database, it is also
paramount that only data that is needed for the defined purposes of the RIPE
Database is inserted.
According to the RIPE Database Terms and Conditions, introducing the geofeed
attribute (with restrictions) would be considered in line and acceptable to be
used only for scientific research into network operations and topology (see
Art. 3).
We also understand that the purposes the RIPE Database must fulfil are not
static but evolve over time.
The RIPE Database Requirements Task Force has recently concluded its work and,
with regard to geolocation, it has established that, although there is an
active user group for geolocation data, geolocation itself is not an objective
that the RIPE Database should fulfil.
If the community's interests have changed since then and it is now agreed that
geolocation is one of the purposes the RIPE Database must fulfil, this should
be decided via the community's processes and reflected in the RIPE Database
Terms and Conditions.
In line with the data management principles proposed by the RIPE Database
Requirements Task Force, it would be prudent to approach this issue
holistically, taking into account that other geolocation information is already
provided in the RIPE Database (i.e. geoloc, country code attributes in ORG and
resource objects).
On the basis of a new purpose for the geolocation information, we could then
reassess the situation to understand whether the restrictions on the geofeed
attribute are still necessary or whether it is justified to process personal
data for this purpose.
Kind regards,

Maria Stafyla
Senior Legal Counsel