Maria Stafyla
Senior Legal Counsel
RIPE NCC

On 13/04/2023 12:29, denis walker wrote:
Colleagues

A question for the legal team at the RIPE NCC. Would a simple purpose,
as suggested below, address all the concerns you had about the use of
the "geofeed:" attribute and allow you to remove any restrictions you
felt were necessary when it was introduced?

cheers
denis
co-chair DB-WG

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: denis walker <ripede...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 at 10:41
Subject: Geofeed purpose
To: Database WG <db-wg@ripe.net>

Colleagues

The conversation on deploying geofeed died shortly after RIPE 85. The
last comment was from myself asking if anyone was willing to propose
some wording for a new purpose covering the use of the RIPE Database
for geolocation information. No one proposed any wording. So below I
have made a proposal for a new purpose. Your comments are appreciated.

cheers
denis
co-chair DB-WG

The RIPE Database contains information for the following purposes:

     Ensuring the uniqueness of Internet number resource usage through
registration of information related to the resources and Registrants
     Publishing routing policies by network operators (IRR)
     Facilitating coordination between network operators (network
problem resolution, outage notification etc.)
     Provisioning of Reverse Domain Name System (DNS) and ENUM delegations
     Providing information about the Registrant and Maintainer of
Internet number resources when the resources are suspected of being
used for unlawful activities, to parties who are authorised under the
law to receive such information.
     Scientific research into network operations and topology
     Providing information to parties involved in disputes over
Internet number resource registrations to parties who are authorised
under the law to receive such information.

Providing information about the geolocation usage of Internet number resources.