Hi Peter,

> On 24 Nov 2023, at 10:57, Peter Hessler via db-wg <db-wg@ripe.net> wrote:
>
> : ...
> :We can switch to UTF-8, this proposal allows more characters in those
> attributes without needing to change the database character set.
> :
>
> I think it would be best if we migrated the entire database to UTF-8
> first, upgrading all LATIN-1 attributes to UTF-8 at that time, then
> change attributes to allow UTF-8 or keep them as ASCII.

We can migate internally to UTF-8 while keeping the current syntax rules, so
nothing changes for the user yet (i.e. the database changes but not the
interfaces).

Once we use UTF-8 internally we can start to support non-latin-1 characters in
attributes and convert interfaces to use UTF-8, as decided by the community.

> I'd like to avoid adding more LATIN-1 if we can avoid it.

We can allow more characters in names regardless of the character set, this can
be done without needing to wait for a UTF-8 migration.

Regards
Ed Shryane
RIPE NCC