Hi,

I like this proposal - people should be able to include their names accurately
in the database. I know there’s an RFC that’s says everything should be ASCII,
but I don’t think many implementations have followed that in the last decade.

On 24 Nov 2023, at 10:21, Job Snijders via db-wg <db-wg@ripe.net> wrote:
> Have the effects of LATIN-1 on downstream applications such as NRTM v3
> and NRTM v4 been considered?

As far as I know, NRTMv3 has no defined encoding, but, speaking from memory,
IRRDv4 does a best effort to decode it as UTF-8. There are encoding errors as a
result, but as they occur in few fields that have loose syntax anyways, the
impact is small. RIPE already limits personal data anyways, so not sure how
much of this would be included.

NRTMv4 is explicitly UTF-8, so a LATIN-1 database has to transcode (if that’s
the term). I haven’t checked whether the current RIPE db implementation does
this.

Sasha