Hello Ben,

Firstly apologies that you were affected by this change. We did this to fix a
bug in RDAP that we discovered while implementing the Redacted feature:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-redacted/

We found that RDAP always returned e-mail attributes without any daily limit
accounting, which could have allowed a client to collect every e-mail in the
database without limit (including organisation, person, role, mntner entities).
This bug had to be fixed to protect personal data.

We had a choice either to keep e-mail in the RDAP response and add daily limit
accounting, or remove e-mail and include a redaction in the response. We
decided to remove e-mail because it's consistent with the other Whois
interfaces that filter responses by default. Secondly because RDAP does not use
query flags, there is no way for a client to opt-out of receiving personal
data. The server decides what to send, and the client can be blocked whether it
wants personal data or not.

If the DB-WG community prefers to include e-mail by default in RDAP entity

Regards
Ed Shryane
RIPE NCC