Dear colleagues,

> On 8 Jan 2024, at 11:44, Edward Shryane via db-wg <db-wg@ripe.net> wrote:
> We had a choice either to keep e-mail in the RDAP response and add daily
> limit accounting, or remove e-mail and include a redaction in the response.
> We decided to remove e-mail because it's consistent with the other Whois
> interfaces that filter responses by default. Secondly because RDAP does not
> use query flags, there is no way for a client to opt-out of receiving
> personal data. The server decides what to send, and the client can be blocked
> whether it wants personal data or not.

I checked the RDAP query logs and found that only about 10-20 client IPs would
be blocked daily (out of 100K's total client IPs) if we enabled daily
accounting on RDAP entity responses.

Therefore I propose that we restore e-mail to RDAP entity responses and enable
daily limit accounting to protect personal data.

Any RDAP client that is making /entity/ requests must comply with the daily
limit according to the AUP:
https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/db/support/documentation/ripe-database-acceptable-use-policy

We will continue to filter e-mail in entities in RDAP /ip/ and /autnum/
(i.e. if you want an unfiltered entity, make an /entity/ request separately).

If there are no objections, I propose to include this change in the next Whois
release. Please let me know your feedback.

Regards
Ed Shryane
RIPE NCC