Colleagues

I know none of you want to talk about any redevelopment of the RIPE
Database. Not even doing it bit by bit. I keep reminding you that it
is a 30 year old design and barely fit for purpose in the modern
world. But still you all want to keep this dinosaur even though it is
now on life support. However, the environment in which the RIPE
Database lives and operates IS constantly changing. It is only the
database that stands still. This latest move by Google and Yahoo to
combat spam is another nail in the coffin of the RIPE Database. It
simply cannot continue to operate in the way it has for the last 30
years. The environment in which the database operates is outside of
our control. Technology and regulations evolve. They are not going to
be adapted to accommodate the RIPE Database just because we don't want
to change anything. At any moment a big tech company or regulatory
authority can just announce that a change is coming that may cripple
the RIPE Database. Then we are thrown into panic mode, trying to adapt
and modify an ancient product to keep it alive in a modern
environment. Could you imagine Apple trying to keep a 30 year old
version of OSX working in today's environment?

This new anti-spam measure is a convenient point to reflect on how one
part of the RIPE Database is used. Notifications are just one part of
an audit system. Many other parts are missing. To be sending out 30k
emails a day to hundreds of thousands of email addresses stored in a
public database as part of an incomplete audit system has to stop.
Notification emails on this scale are a relic of the past. Just
thinking out aloud, perhaps what we need is to extend the LIR portal
to an account system for anyone who maintains data in the RIPE
Database. Through that account a complete audit trail will be
accessible to designated people with an SSO credential. That audit
trail should contain fully indexed details of what data has been
created, updated and deleted, when, who did it, from where, by what
means, using what authorisation, what the outcome was, for example.
The audit trail will contain details of all updates no matter which
interface was used. Currently if you update using the web interface
the details of the update are lost to the user when you close your
browser. You may be notified, but the who, when, how is lost. All of
those details will be saved in a full audit trail. When you log into
your account there will be messages to tell you data has changed so
authorised people can check the changes. ALL attributes related to any
form of notification can then be removed from the RIPE Database. NO
emails will be sent out relating to notifications or acknowledgements.
That will avoid all this spam sent out by the RIPE NCC and other spam