Dear colleagues,

Please find below the summary of incident for whois updates:

When:
Between approximately 20:00 UTC on Sunday, 16 June and 01:00 UTC on Monday 17
June, there was an intermittent interruption to the Whois Update service. On 24
June, between 08:03 and 08:21 UTC there was a subsequent incident.

Why:
The interruption occurred due to several unusual update messages containing
many maintainers. Aside from this, there were a number of spurious update
notification emails sent to uninvolved maintainers. Bounced mail messages from
those maintainers were processed as updates which caused a lot more emails to
be generated.

Action:
At the time of the incidents, we took measures to mitigate the impact to our
users.
On 24 June, we deployed the 1.112.1 release to production to mitigate this
issue (validate max references). On 1 July, another release of whois 1.113.2
was made which improved our handling of multipart/mixed bounced and
auto-submitted messages.
The release notes are on the website:
https://apps.db.ripe.net/docs/Release-Notes/#ripe-database-release-1-113-2

In the following weeks, we continued to monitor the whois updates and we did
not observe any further instances since 24 June.

We apologise to our users for the inconvenience this interruption may have
caused.

Regards,
Mahesh
-----
To unsubscribe from this mailing list or change your subscription options,
please visit: https://mailman.ripe.net/mailman3/lists/db-wg.ripe.net/
As we have migrated to Mailman 3, you will need to create an account with the
email matching your subscription before you can change your settings.
More details at: https://www.ripe.net/membership/mail/mailman-3-migration/