On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 09:58, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Lincoln A. Baxter wrote:
[snip]

> Ok, the light just went on...  One must qualify the value of 'x' when
> speaking of perl 5.8.x!  In 5.8.0, use of SA_RESTART is a compile-time
> choice (not supported, apparently, by the Configure scripts), which
> explains why I'm not seeing the desired semantics.  In 5.8.1 and 5.8.2 it
> is, as you've inferred, a function of your runtime environment
> (PERL_SIGNALS=unsafe).
>
> This begs the further question of why the notion of restartable system
> calls is tied so closely to Perl's newer "safe" signal semantics.  To me,
> these are orthogonal notions.  The principle of least surprise would
> suggest that they be decoupled, unless I'm overlooking the obvious.

I could not agree more with that statement!

The conclusion I have come to (after a bunch of testing using linux
strace and solaris truss, is that, as the new docs say, the ONLY safe
way to do it, is use use POSIX::SigAction objects with sigaction().

I will be able to test this on at least 3 *nix's. linux, solaris (5.8),
and hpux(11i).

Lincoln

Lincoln