On 23-Feb-2004 Jeff Urlwin wrote:
<excessively snipped>

Not that I am following this DBI discussion here closely but I remember one more
issue with DBD::ODBC and MS SQL Server.

> That's a little harder for me, but I'll try to summarize what I did and try
> to remember the reasons why.  It got nasty there for a while, especially
> with SQL*Server stored procs (just look at all the 45_xx releases!  I do
> remember, at first, it was a simple: if you called for more results, I'd
> check then.  But there were a few nasty instances where, inside a procedure,
> you'd have:

        a procedure returning output parameters

>       update
>       select a, b, c
>       update
>       update
>       select d, e, f

> SQL*Server returned, respectively:
>       empty result set
>       a, b, c
>       empty
>       empty
>       d, e, f

        output parameters returned on the last call to SQLMoreResults.

> What DBD::ODBC does now is that the end-user will only see (I think!  It's
> been a while!):
>       a, b, c
>       d, e, f

e.g. SQL = {? = call fred(arguments) }
  the ? output parameter is not available until the last SQLMoreResults returns
  SQL_NO_MORE_DATA.

Don't know if this makes any difference to the discussion - just thought I'd
mention it.

Martin
--
Martin J. Evans