On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:31:00 +0100, Tim Bunce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 11:05:22PM -0700, Jonathan Leffler wrote:
> > You can decide whether or not it is a good idea for you to follow
> > suit, but for the next release of DBD::Informix, the documented email
> > contact point is going to be [EMAIL PROTECTED]  I'd use a dash
> > if Gmail allowed it, but they don't -- alphanumerics and dots are all
> > that are permitted.  The chances are that the relevant email addresses
> > are all available, and it would give you 1 GB of email storage for
> > reports and such like.
>
> Why not use the free Request Tracker queues that exist for all CPAN
> modules:
>
>   https://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=DBD-Informix
>   https://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Dists.html?Queue=Informix
>
> Seems like a better way to manage bug reports etc., as that's
> what RT was designed to do.

One reason for not doing so is ignorance of the existence of the mechanism.
Or, total amnesia -- I think I did once get a bug report that way
(checks - two of them).

Not having used it, I can't comment on its usability.  Others appear
to have some problems with it.

Unless there is a simple way for people to email their problems to
that system, it won't fly.  And I haven't yet worked out how
rt.cpan.org notifies me of the issues - I don't remember the second
bug reported about 6 months ago (the other was reported about 18
months ago, resolved inside about 48 hours, and then accidentally left
open rather than resolved).

OK - Tim's in the 'leave it' camp.  That's fine.  I'm in the 'take it'
camp as indicated by my original email - a statement of direction.  I
can also mention the rt.cpan.org stuff in the DBD::Informix
documentation -- is there an alternative to the NoAuth part of the
URL?

--
Jonathan Leffler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2003.04 - http://dbi.perl.org