On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Tim Bunce wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 09:00:23AM -0700, Tim Howell wrote:

> > 1.  Better support for dead connections.  In our setup we have
> > applications running with Apache::DBI on linux that need to connect to a
> > ProxyServer running on Win2K.  Currently, if the ProxyServer dies for
> > any reason, and then the application attempts to query it using an
> > already established connection, the application dies.  I think better
> > behavior would be for an automatic reconnect to be attempted, and, if
> > that fails, for the application to die.  As I'm writing this, though, I
> > wonder if it would be better to have the application itself eval a quick
> > test of the dbh returned from DBI->connect and do the reconnect there if
> > there are problems.  I'm certainly open to feedback on this.
>
> By default it should simply cause the DBI method to fail via $h->set_err(...).
>
> Optionally it could support auto-retry *if* AutoCommit is off. But the
> docs should warn about silent loss of any locks the app may have had.

I agree that it shouldn't do anything magical, after all it's "just" a
proxy. If you want to play with dead connections, I think that the user
should just subclass DBI and do his own games in there (assuming
set_err() is properly set so the user knows). I think that my DBIx::HA
should properly work in conjunction with DBD::Proxy (if it doesn't I'll
fix it so it does), and provides the user with all sorts of reconnect
stuff.

Henri