Sam Tregar wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Dean Arnold wrote:

Er, marketting in what way ?

I see the email as an attempt to attract new developers to the
project.  Hence it is, in some respects, an attempt to "market" DBI v2
to developers.

<My rant redacted.>

Relax.  I'm just suggesting that Tim not talk about a fund drive that
more-or-less failed when trying to drum up volunteers for the new
project.  It will be obvious to everyone who reads this that $500
isn't enough to help in a significant way.  That may serve to subtract
from the otherwise positive tone of his plea.

-sam

[ I'll take the role of "bad cop" here...
I don't intend this as personal attack.
Fortunately, Tim's on vacation, so he can dress me down
after he gets back. ]

These forums are intended to ask for, and provide assistance to,
users and developers of the Perl DBI. One way (a very
important way) to provide that assistance is for those who
profit the most from the Perl DBI,
to provide funding and/or other resources. If it's unseemly
for Mssr. Bunce to ask for community assistance here (esp. when
so many ask for assistance from *him*), then where should he ask ?
If the issue is the perceived "shaming", I can only posit that
asking nicely obviously didn't work.

This issue needs to be addressed. Those who profit from DBI need
to be made aware that resources are needed to continue to
provide a quality product, if only so the websites that
provide their profits don't start succumbing to code rot.

My rant is intended more as incitement to the community at large
(the "silent majority").
If you work for an org that relies on DBI to keep the customers
coming thru the doors (or URLs, as the case may be), you need to
elevate this issue to your management and get some commitment from
them to help out, if only in a "Googlesque" manner (i.e.,
letting some staff contribute 10-20% of their paid time
to the effort).

Its all well and good for us to give Tim a "honey-do" list
for DBIv2. Whats needed is some serious commitment from
developers, and esp. users who apparently feel entitled to the
fruits of Tim's (and others) labors. After all, this isn't about
maintaining yet another module that parses zipcodes. We're talking
about the maintenance and development of a fundamental
component of enterprise infrastructure.

Now I'll take my lithium and go watch fireworks.

Dean