Hi,

This is really a progress report - some of it I've already sent to Patrick.

Attached is a patch to DBD::mysql 3.0003_1 which:

o fixes a few compile issues with were caused by declarations
  in the middle of a block - already sent to Patrick.

o fixes the memory corruption I previously reported on dbi-users.
  Sent to Patrick but the initial fix had problems - I've resent
  the changes to Patrick.

o introduces a small change to get utf8 data back
  All this does is check charsetnr to see if it is 33 and
  turns on the utf8 flag if it is.
  You still need to do one or both of:

$dbh->do("set character set utf8");
$dbh->do("set names utf8");

  to get utf8 back and even then you only get it back if the
  column is defined as utf8 in mysql. I'm not clear exactly which
  of the above 2 settings you need to make as there is contradictory
  evidence on the net about this.

  I've tested this a little - so far as my utf8 defined tables
  which contain utf8 data come back fine and none uf8 columns
  are untouched.

If anyone else fancies testing this or helping with information
about what you need to set (character set or names) I'd be pleased
to hear about it. My primary interest is fairly selfish in that I
need utf8 support but I'm happy to share what I find/change but I
also don't want to step on Patrick's shoes - as such this is cc'ed to
Patrick (and I also appologise for the first attempt I sent
you for fixing the memory corruption - my mistake - I sent an
out of date version).

I should probably also point out that this patch is against
a development release of dbd::mysql and all that implies.

There was also a mail from Henri on dbi-users about using TYPE=>SQL_INTEGER
in bind_param call - I don't do this and can't (currently from the existing
code) see how it would work.

As an aside, if anyone knows a definite list of charsetnr values
in mysql I would be interested in it as my patch is based on
what I've seen rather than what I've read anywhere. I did try
adding get_charset calls to dbdimp.c for DBD::mysql to find
the charset name but to do this I needed to add a load of #includes
to dbdimp.h which caused a lot of compiler warnings. This was
based on code I found at http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=6911.

Martin
--
Martin J. Evans