I was sent a response to this off-list, part of which I'll reply to on-list.

The response bit was:

"What happens to the 'which drivers are available' part of the DBI interface?"

To this I say:

The API definition would say that each DBD has something which can be easily scanned for, and so an external DBI utility function can easily find all the available drivers, same as it does now.

That thing to scan for might be a simple is_a_DBI() main package routine, for example, or something else.

In contrast, if the list of drivers to search for is hard-coded in DBI rather than DBI just checking all available packages on the system, well that solution could also exist as said external DBI utility function.

-- Darren Duncan