On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 07:02:07PM +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 17:28:04 +0100, Tim Bunce <tim.bu...@pobox.com>
> wrote:
>
> >     G9. end users can find the level of DBI API compliance of a driver
> >         i.e., by looking at the test configuration for the driver
> >         to see what areas of functionality are configured to be skipped.
>
> I have a hard time parsing that.

Drivers have various limitations, things they don't, or can't, support.
It would be unreasonable for them to fail DBIT for those reasons.
So there needs to be a way for those drivers to tell DBIT that
certain tests should be skipped.

And not just drivers. Things like proxies will need to influence
what's expected to work. This is a key area.

What G9 is trying to express is that that information (which tests to
skip) is useful for end users, and probably applications as well.
So we should aim to design the system in a way that make that
information available in a useful way.

Some of that might end up being handled by $dbh->get_info() but there's
bound to be some that isn't.

> >     S4. DBIT is not meant to test the underlying database.
> >         If a driver implements a database itself then it'll
> >         need it's own tests to provide good coverage of that.
>
> DBIT will offer the interface to test the underlying database. What is
> important here, as DBIT will offer the possibility to test under
> different circumstances (like with SQL::Nano or under DBI::Proxy)
> without having to rewrite all tests over and over again.
> These test will reside in the test suite of the DBD, not in the test
> suite of DBIT

Yes. Or, for drivers that want to share tests, those tests could live in
modules installed by a distro that the driver declares it's dependant on.