Hi Jonathan,

Am 08.11.2013 um 02:59 schrieb djg...@gmail.com:

> I hope my reply comes across correctly.

Depends on your intension ;)
I’d say: yes.

>> Hi Jens and Sven,
>>
>> I understand that AnyData needs a reset. What is consensus if direction?
>>
>> For my project I need to manage a big variety of source formats, so I'll be
>> willing to participate in redesign or coding of AnyData if need be.
>> Otherwise
>> I'll have to dream up my own data format abstraction layer.
>>
>> There are generally four types of sources or formats in my environment
>>
>> Databases accessible through DBI
>> Databases accessible through command line binaries
>> Records based files, such as csv
>> Table based files, such as /etc/hosts, json etc.
>>
>> Any lessons we can stage from Augeas and it's concept of lenses? Or just
>> bridge
>> between Augeas and DBI?
>>

> I just started looking into AnyData since I didn’t like all the work I was
> doing to use the template feature of unpack then while processing building a
> SQLite in-memory/file DB. I am thinking DBD::AnyData would be better and
> easier to maintain than what I have built
>
> I notice DBD::AnyData doesn’t work with DBI > 1.622. I am willing to help but
> not sure where to start. I may try to build a proof of concept from an older
> DBI to see if it will be any faster/easier to maintain that what I am doing
> now.

I would recommend 1st to join IRC - at irc.perl.org in #dbi channel.
If this is an absolute no-go, maybe a Hangout on Google+ would work better?

However - the first step should be to read the concept and api of
DBI::DBD::SqlEngine::(Table|Data)Source. I would favor this API even for
AnyData and it’s storage backends.

Let’s together develop an API on-top of it for parsing, if necessary.

When AnyData got rid of the internal Tie stuff, a reintegration of
DBD::AnyData into DBD::File will be a smooth way.

Cheers
--
Jens Rehsack
rehs...@gmail.com