On 2017-08-28 12:00 PM, Alexander Foken wrote:
On 28.08.2017 18:19, Darren Duncan wrote:
While a fork may be the best short term fix, as keeping up with security
issues is important, ...

Not being able to connect to MySQL / MariaDB from Perl is not acceptable. Having
tons of known bugs, especially security-related ones, is as bad. Being forced to
take the long detour through DBD::ODBC, an ODBC driver, and a MySQL / MariaDB
ODBC driver is not pretty, and it won't be faster than the native DBD::mysql
driver.

Indentionally breaking DBD::mysql to drive people away from MySQL / MariaDB wont
work. Instead, people will search for another language that does support
connecting to MySQL / MariaDB, like PHP, Python or Java. And so, they will use
MySQL / MariaDB without Perl.

I agree with what you said, and I said as much myself (quoted above).

The I look at it is that keeping a good quality DBD::mysql is important but that it would be conceptually a LEGACY SUPPORT feature.

This is similar to how Perl supports, and should support, talking with any tools and systems that people have, so people always have the option to use Perl, even when the things they're working with aren't the best choices, its still what they have.

And Perl's support for MySQL should remain high quality as possible as long as it exists.

But I believe that's mainly a short term solution, and the longer term solution is to migrate to better DBMSs.

-- Darren Duncan