It seems to me like the remaining option that can make everyone "happy" is
the previously-suggested option of maintaining a legacy branch and doing
new development (reinstating 4.042) in another branch which will be
released as a new distribution, like DBD::mysql2, by the same maintainers.
(I would not favor DBD::MariaDB as a name, since this new distribution
would also be the favored way to connect to MySQL.) After doing so
DBD::mysql can be deprecated, with migration instructions added to the
docs, and only receive critical security fixes if anything. If done this
way the community should not be fractured; the current module will simply
be abandoned for future development, all support and maintenance will move
to the new one. Patrick and Michiel, what do you think?

-Dan