On Friday 10 November 2017 13:40:40 demerphq wrote:
> On 10 November 2017 at 13:11,  <p...@cpan.org> wrote:
> > Should DBD::mysql maintainers now starting complaining to Oracle and
> > MariaDB, that they must revert their changes in MySQL and MariaDB, just
> > because DBD::mysql (as libmysqlclient application) stopped working,
> > because is misusing internals of C structures?
>
> Pali, I wanted to give you some feedback on this thread. I have been
> monitoring this discussion for some time. My $workplace probably has
> one of the largest Mysql footprints in the world, and certainly in the
> Perl world. We have funded MySQL/DBI related work in the past, and we
> are a large funder of TPF. So we are in the position to throw
> resources at this problem if the circumstances were appropriate.
>
> But it is very difficult to determine if the circumstances ARE
> appropriate because of the level of hysteria in your posts. I believe
> your intentions are good, and I am willing to assume you are
> technically correct about many of the things you comment on, but I
> must say that the tone and form in which you are discussing it is
> counter-productive.
>
> The people you are talking to on this list by and large are software
> developers and DB types, a group of people who are very intelligent,
> experienced, and naturally conservative in their analytical approach.
> Hysterical comments are not going to impress people like this.
> Expecting people to blindly accept that your analysis is the one and
> only viable analysis when your debating style is high on rhetoric and
> low on facts or reasoned analysis is only going to frustrate yourself
> and annoy the people on this list.
>
> I really think you need to step back, bring your frustration (however
> understandable that frustration is) into check and try a more
> dispassionate approach. Despite lurking in this thread for some time I
> am still lacking the precise specification of the problem at hand that
> drives some of your comments. While I would like to do a code review
> and see how much I agree with what you are saying, it is very
> difficult to extract the substance from the rhetoric.
>
> I think if you can manage to tone your responses down a bit you will
> get a much more productive response from the list.
>
> With respect,
> Yves

Hi! I'm sorry if you understood it as a hysteria.. above quoted parts
was just rhetoric question. Not offense or a bad tone. I'm not native
English speaker and foreign language could be here a problem. Sorry for
that.

I'm disappointed that it is now 3 or 4 months (or more) that development
of DBD::mysql is fully blocked and nothing is happening. On one side are
people wanting old DBD::mysql, on other side are people wanting support
for new MariaDB and everything is just stuck :-(

I just wanted to point that there are technical problems also between
libmysqlclient and DBD::mysql driver have similar impact as problems
between some perl applications and DBD::mysql.