From: "Matthew Tedder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 12:34 PM
Subject: Re: DB2 vs. Oracle

It looks interesting... Is it a relatively new product?  Maturity is
important.  PostgreSQL also has all of what you mention, it is also Object
Relational and has very robust transaction support.  The only scalability
limitation that causes me to look at DB2 EE is the transpearant distributed
data/processing capabilities.

The horror of mass "user queries" must be managed and data needs the highest
levels of protection.  Even planned increases in daily processes require
consistently more and more performance as time passes.  Tape backups are
needed for recovery and reprocessing for what ever reasons.  However, quick
dynamic recovery is required for hardware or network failures.  All
hospitals and some clinics work 24x7.

If a PostgreSQL has this one additional capability, it would be in the same
leage as DB2 (somewhat comparable but better only in the sense that it
scales in price as well as data/CPU and offers more freedoms in general).

--Matthew

>>> Marc Spitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/22/01 12:07PM >>>
Well for price sapdb is free.  It has a perl db interface along with python,
C, C++, Java and odbc.  It runs on linux and will soon( I hope) run on
freebsd.  It has a replication manager also.

Marc Spitzer