-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Howard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 10:05 PM
To: Kutler, Christopher
Subject: RE: Extract data from MS Excel Spreadsheets. Can it be done?

If you're just wanting to get the data out of the excel spreadsheet into a
more usable, and more manipulable format, Perl might not be the easiest way
to do that. If you have access to MS SQL 7.0 learn to use DTS - it is very
easy, and very, very good at moving data between any two OLE-DB compliant
data sources. I use this quite often when source data or translation table
are built in Excel (a lot of people like to use that) and I need it in SQL
to actually make use of it. From MS SQL, it is also possible to create a
linked server definition, or use an OPENROWSET to access Excel. The table
names will be the names of the sheets as listed on the tab at the bottom of
the page with a $ on the end of it.

I would recommend taking the data out of EXCEL first if you need to do much
in the way of manipulation or use of the data.

Steve Howard